[Kartbuilding] Hi - Kart building

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Mon Dec 4 21:07:08 GMT 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 15:52:28 -0500
Subject: Re: Hi - Kart building

Hi Stephen,

Thanks very much for this information - it is very helpful.

Stephen Burke <>
12/04/2006 03:44 PM

cc
Subject
Re: Hi - Kart building

Hi Phil,

There are basic plans on making a wooden go-kart on the
www.kartbuilding.net website. There is a space at the rear of this kart
for an engine however - which isn't much good to you.

But you can easily adapt the wooden kart plans to suit your purpose. I
will describe how:
(Using the diagrams on -> http://www.kartbuilding.net/woodenkart/plan.htm
and
http://www.kartbuilding.net/other_karts/other_wooden_kart/other_wooden_kart.html

)

Build the chassis without the engine. There are two methods of pedal power

you can use:
#1 put a sprocket on the rear axle. Also mount the pedal & large sprocket
off a bycycle and connect up the pedal (on a temporary axle at the front
end of the kart) to the rear axle via a chain.
Of course steering will have to be using a rope connected to the front
wheels.

#2 drive the kart using a connecting rods driven via a cam & follower
drive method. This is a better however unconventional solution. I have
attached a *very crude* diagram to this email. It is also located at this
link:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/woodenkart/linkage_drive_wooden_pedal_kart.gif
Here are the steps:
i: mount a stub axle (as in red).
ii: get 2 pedals/levers etc. (in green) to pivot on this red stub axle.
iii: get two connecting rods (in blue) which will connect up to the rear
axle.
iv: get a ratchet center mount off the rear back wheel on a bycycle. Onto
this ratchet/free wheel device, mount a circular disc with 2 holes (as in
yellow on diagram). Connect up the blue connecting rods to these yellow
holes.
The green pedals will move forwards and backwards rather than go in a
round complete circle as with a chain drive and sprockets.

I hope you get a vague idea of what I am on about. I seen plans for such a

wooden kart in a "Woodworkers Magazine" years and years ago - and I dont
have a copy of it Im afraid.

Best of Luck, and I hope I have helped you a little bit.
-steve

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006,