[Kartbuilding] the kart building problem

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Sat Dec 9 16:34:05 GMT 2006

Hi,

There are 2 methods of stopping the rear axle moving horizontally (from
side to side).
#1 Some pillar bearings have a "grub screw" which tightens the inner ring
of the bearing onto the rear axle. An "allen key" (hexagonal) is used to
tighten this grub screw onto the rear axle. There is a picture of this
bearing and the grub screw at:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/epbimages/pillowbearing.jpg

#2 Make a shoulder (or stepped thickness) on the rear axle. The rear axle
has a thicker diameter in the middle. At the exact distance on the right
and left of the rear axle, the diameter of the bar is reduced (on a lathe
etc.) so that the bearing can push up against this shoulder/stepped
thickness. Such a picture is at:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/Freeplans/images/wholeaxle.jpg

I hope this answers your question.

Best of Luck,