[Kartbuilding] Greetings kart builder!

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Mon Apr 30 09:44:23 IST 2007

Hi Jared,

Thank you for your comments about the www.kartbuilding.net website. Im
glad you find it useful.
When I was using a "Vertical" shaft driven engine, I simply used a V-belt
pulley drive to transmit the power to the rear axle. See:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01259.JPG.html
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01257.JPG.html
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01061.JPG.html
where the v-belt can be twisted through 90degrees and transmit the power.
A 3rd idler pulley wheel on a pivot can also be added into this drive to
provide a type of clutch. When the idler lever is pivoted in against the
drive belt, the drive belt tightens and grips the other two pulley wheels
and the kart takes off.

Anyways, onto Centrifugal clutches. I generally get these clutches off
"chainsaws", "scooters", and "old racing karts". See:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01031.JPG.html
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Commercial_Karts-Photos_and_Details/DSC02148.JPG.html
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01035.JPG.html
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01044.JPG.html
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01097.JPG.html

So - if your are looking to implement one, either get a standard one and
adjust it for your own use, or try and order one from Briggs and Stratton.
I would definately think that thoes parts would be available. Briggs and
Stratton themselves might have it (they are a very large company), or a
lawnmower repair shop might have replacement parts. You could also take a
look on eBay for a similar part or lawnmower even. These parts might cost
a bit however.
If I were in your shoes, I would change the drive setup to allow the use
of a centrifugal clutch from a chainsaw or a racing kart.

Im afraid I dont know any contacts for getting briggs and stratton parts
etc.
If you have any further questions, just email them on.