[Kartbuilding] new guy

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Mon Apr 30 10:06:28 IST 2007

Hi,

Building a kart. Well the plans are layed out in order of what you start
first. You want to be able to make the basic kart firstly with no
transmission. I.E. make a simple push kart first. Then when its going ok
and steering ok, then look into the transmission and engine etc. So in
order, from the first thing to the last: 1. Make the Chassis
2. Make the rear axle and mount it correctly. Make sure it spins freely.
The brakes and sprocket can wait for later.
3. Put on the rear wheels. Either get simple wheelbarrow wheels and weld
onto the rear axle, or get wheels of a small trailer and bolt to hubs,
which in turn attach to the rear axle.
4. Make and assemble the front
stub axle.
5. Install the steering track rods to tie together the front stub axles.
6. Put on the front wheels.

At this stage - it should be a push kart with no steering (although the
front wheels should be linked with the track tods).

7. Install the steering column and steering wheel.
8. Seat
8. Engine cradle.
9. Rear drive sprocket.
10. Pedals.
11. Floor Pan.
12. Drive chain.
13. Petrol tank.

Making a kart isn't that difficult. The hardest part is just getting
started. Start making the chassis, welding or bolting it together.