[Kartbuilding] Go karts questions continued

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Tue Feb 27 09:50:54 GMT 2007

Hi again Mike,

1. Rose end bearings can easily be purchased from an engineering supplies.
You might also be able to get an old/second-hand one off an old car (see
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/?g2_page=9
).

2. Yes - the brake cable pulls the callipers together, which closes in on
the steel disc attached to the rear axle - causing the kart to slow down.
Take a look at:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/racingkart/Free_Racing_Kart_Plans_PDF/Main_Kart_Complete_09_Rear_Brakes.pdf
for more details.

3. As for the brake components - you will have to get the brake (disc and
callipers) off a moped/scooter/motorbike and use its components. The disc
is attached to the rear axle and rotates with the axle. Because there is a
large hole in the middle of the disc - it needs a "carrier" (maybe the
pyramid shaped item you mentioned?) which can be purchased in a karting
shop or perhaps an engineering shop. You can even make/weld up a similar
item to secure the brake disc to the rear axle. Note - there is NO bearing
attached to the brake disc. The brake disc must be FIRMLY secured to the
rear axle.
Apart from the disc - there are 2 pads/callipers. One of which goes on
either side of the brake disc. These pads/callipers as the above PDF shows
- are attached to the chassis with support arms. A cable then operates to
squeeze the two callipers/pads together - causing the kart to be slowed
down.
I highly RECOMMEND you look closely at the front brakes on a
motorbike/moped to get an idea of the components involved. Also - if you
could visit a local karting arena - you will see the modified braking
system/setup working.

4.
http://www.kartbuilding.net/racingkart/Free_Racing_Kart_Plans_PDF/Main_Kart_Complete_11_Steering_Track_Rods.pdf
The above PDF plan shows a close up of the track rod + rose end bearing.
Yes - basically - the track rods are pieces of pipe. At the ends of the
pipe - a NUT is welded. The Rose End Bearing then screws into the nut
which is welded to the pipe. The rose end bearing can be screwed in and
out to adjust the direction of the front wheels. Again - yes - the rose
end bearing can be purchased in a local engineering shop.

A small model can be useful - however I suggest you simply start making
the kart. Its easier to build the real sized kart rather than super-gluing
a model together. Start with the easy things of the kart - i.e. the
chassis and the rear axle. The steering is later on, and the brakes are
one of the last things to do. Dont get too worried about the ins and outs
of the kart. Just start and take it piece by piece.
Again - I highly recommend you visit a local karting arena etc. to look at
a kart and to see the bits involved. Otherwise - make a proper simple
kart. There is plenty of information and details on the steering on the
www.kartbuilding.net website.