[Kartbuilding] Home made kart

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Thu Jan 4 09:40:46 GMT 2007

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the link to your Kart Project page. It has some nice photos on
it. You take into consideration a lot of points I neglect to cover, i.e.
tilt-over mercury switch, chain guard etc. I should include these at some
stage on my kartbuilding website. I also never added any roll bars/cage to
my karts - I felt that if the kart did tip over at speed - that without a
safety harness and a really really solid cage - It wouldn't be much use.
Also - the roll cage would take up too much room in the garage at home!!

Your kart does look very well. I see you got a new engine towards the end!
Its also nice to have a decent workshop to build the kart in. I could have
really done with a pipe-bender and a lathe. I read on your page that you
made your own pipe-bender! If you had a photo of it and a few details -
that would be nice seeing.

Another thing I see is that you put the chassis ontop of the rear axle. I
tend to put the chassis hanging off the rear axle. I.E. the pillow
bearings on the top. This gives lower ground clearance - but thats about
all. I suppose its a case of whatever works.

Anyways, thanks for the photos. If you have details on your home-made pipe
bender - that would be great. Also if you had info on whether you hot/cold
bend the tubing, and what wall thickness tubing (and how significant is
the wall thickness and diameter when bending tubing).

Best Regards and Happy New Year,

Stephen