[Kartbuilding] 1100cc

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Thu Jan 4 10:51:53 GMT 2007

Hi,

Thank you for the photos. It will be a very good kartbuilding project if
you manage to get the suspension working.
As for engines - yes - you should be easily able to change the engine if
it is not powerful enough. However I think it will.
The most important thing is to build a strong chassis that will take the
weight and strain. All other pieces can be changed - but the chassis must
be built correctly from the beginning.
The drawing of the kart chassis looks ok. The chassis could perhaps be a
little wider. You have it at 110cm - perhaps with the large motorbike
engine, it would be better if your chassis was 130 or 140cm. - Its just a
suggestion.
As for the suspension - yes them springs & shocks of the motorbike should
be fine. I suggest/recommend you go through the details on this website:
http://www.sadik.net/gokart/

In particular the pictures on the above website to watch out for are:
http://www.sadik.net/gokart/pictures/back_arm1.jpg
http://www.sadik.net/gokart/pictures/back_arm2.jpg
http://www.sadik.net/gokart/pictures/back_arm3.jpg
http://www.sadik.net/gokart/pictures/back_arm4.jpg
http://www.sadik.net/gokart/pictures/back_arm5.jpg
http://www.sadik.net/gokart/pictures/back_arm6.jpg
http://www.sadik.net/gokart/pictures/back_arm7.jpg
http://www.sadik.net/gokart/pictures/back_arm8.jpg
http://www.sadik.net/gokart/pictures/back_arm9.jpg
http://www.sadik.net/gokart/pictures/back_arm10.jpg

There is a similar setup as to what you plan on the website above. Let me
know how you get on and send on any photos whenever you can.

-steve