[Kartbuilding] Need some help

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Sat Jun 9 17:57:06 IST 2007

Hi,

Thanks for your email. Im glad you find the www.kartbuilding.net website
useful.
With regards to information on where you could find/buy the kart parts, I
currently dont have a dedicated webpage for this. There is 1 page where
ebay bids for kart parts shows (
http://www.kartbuilding.net/buy_go-kart_parts.html )
however it only shows a limited number of ebay parts in the "karting"
category.

When sourcing parts and materials for a kart the first thing you need to
look for is:
1. 4 wheels. At the least - there needs to be 2 pairs. The front wheels
can be smaller than the rear.
2. An engine is next.
3. Buy materials for the chassis. Typically these materials (piping/tubing
and flat steel, along with some nuts, bolts and washers) can be bought in
a DIY/Hardware store (B&Q or Homebase) or an engineering company. The
quantity of steel depends on how strong a chassis you want to make. I had
to make many many return trips to my local hardware store for bits and
pieces as I was making the kart.
4. Source Brakes, steering wheel, bearings, petrol tank, a seat, brake
cables, chains and sprockets etc. I would recommend you visit a local
scrap yard. If you find nothing suitable there, you need to go to a "crash
repair shop" for cars and motorbikes/scooters etc. Ideally you would get
all the above pieces from old motorbikes. Dont get too heavy of parts
otherwise this will slow down your kart. Choose a basic plastic seat and
add side supports as is on this page:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/Freeplans/seat.htm
If you still dont find the above parts second-hand, go to ebay or online
to try and source these parts cheaply. Ebay has a ton of parts for sale,
but you will have to make sure the delivery charges dont add up for the
weight of the parts and shipping.
Fail this and ebay, you will have to go back to your DIY/hardware store
and see if you can get the parts there, or if they could order in the
parts for you. Typically they will have a suppliers catalogue where there
will be a much wider range.

I hope this information and tips help. If you have any more problems or
questions, just send on an email.