[Kartbuilding] go cart - clutches and gearboxes

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Tue Jun 26 12:01:12 IST 2007

The photo of the clutch you pointed out was not attached to the email you
sent me. These are images of what a manual clutch looks like:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01039.JPG.html
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01047.JPG.html

This is a photo of an automatic centrifugal clutch:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01097.JPG.html
There is more information on automatic centrifugal clutches at (note this
type of clutch is for automatic transmission with NO SHIFT STICK):
http://blog.kartbuilding.net/archives/15

A clutch will NOT make a go-kart go faster. It will allow you to keep the
engine running when the kart is stopped/stationary.
If you weld a srocket to the engine and the rear axle, it will go the SAME
SPEED as with a clutch.

The article you referred to (Four gears and a Manual clutch) is where a
GEARBOX
( see:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC00981.JPG.html
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01012.JPG.html
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01020.JPG.html
)
is used. A gear is a toothed wheel, which when 2 different size gear
wheels come together give a different gear ratio. This is the EXACT SAME
as gears in a CAR/automobile.
Just as 2 gear wheels can be used to provide a gear ratio, 2 sprockets
joined with a chain can also provide a gear ratio, i.e. one shaft will
turn at a different speed to another shaft.

If the engine says it is "manual", then more than likely it has no
gears/gearbox and you will have to get a gearbox seperately and join the 2
together just as is done in:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC00978.JPG.html

The following picture shows the clutch lever on the gearbox+engine
combination above:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC00985.JPG.html

In relation to your other email regarding a heavy duty clutch and how it
will max at 2000rpm, I think this is an AUTOMATIC CENTRIFUGAL type clutch.
This type of clutch is used on a "single gear chain drive transmission".