[Kartbuilding] Hey

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Wed Mar 21 09:08:09 GMT 2007

Hi,

I paid €180 for the broken motorbike, a RXS100. Of course, although
the engine started and was running, it wouldnt go into gear! The gear
change lever splines were worn and they said "ah sure once its welded on,
it'll work fine".
But no....
The gear change lever was actually broken!! I had to take the sides of the
gearbox and install a new gear change lever. Costed €20. I then
realised that they managed to break the gear change lever, while leaving
it in 4th gear. As a result of them still driving around in 4th - they had
also completely burnt out the clutch!!!
I managed to get a second-hand clutch after a 3hr drive for €30.
Managed to get the motorbike back up and running.
Then I went on to trying to sort out the wiring loom, trying to take just
the engine electrics out. After messing with trying to charge the battery,
I blew the CDU (Capacitor Discharge Unit, - the main electronic points).
That costed €50 to get a new second hand one.
So a total cost of €280, but I did manage to use the sprockets,
chain, rev clock etc.
On my second kart - I went straight to a motorbike repair shop - and
bought just the working engine off him. He had just the engine on its own
ready for me. It was a GP100 (Suzuki 100cc, as above), and costed me
€100 which worked out way better.

The rev clock was very easy to install. It was simply operated via a
flexible cable which one end screwed into the gearbox. All I had to do
then was to mount the rev clock above the steering wheel. It was a manual
mechanical rev clock so I didnt need any electrics etc. to use it.

What I suggest for yourself, is to start building the kart. The engine
will come eventually, and you are best NOT to rush into wasting money on
an overly expensive motorbike engine. I like to use the guide 1 euro; for
1cc. So if your gettting a 125cc engine, it'd cost € 125. You will
have to do the necessary money calculations to convert from euros to
dollars.