[Kartbuilding] Greetings kart builder!

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Tue May 8 09:17:42 IST 2007

Hi Jared,

The diameter of solid rear axles depends a lot on the purpose of the kart.
The weight of the rear axle goes up significantly with an increased
diameter.
1" (25mm) diameter rear axle sounds a little small.
I would recommend 1.25 or 1.5" (32 or 38mm) diameter rear axle. The exact
size depends on the availability of the pillow bearings, brake and
sprocket carriers. It would be much easier if you could get an exact size
of rear axle to suit the pillow bearings, brake and sprocket carriers.

Depending on the distance between the wheels and the rear bearings, you
may need a larger diameter rear axle. If the distance between the rear
wheel and the pillow bearing is large, then you will need a larger axle.
If the distance between the wheel and the bearing is small, then it would
be possible to get away with a smaller 1.25" (32mm) rear axle.

As for mounting the rear wheels. Depending on your hubs, what material
they are made from etc. the methods of mounting them will vary. If the
hubs are made frm mild steel, a simple weld would suffice (which can be
gound off later with an angle-grinder).
If they are aluminium, then you probably will have to use a "keyway" and
key as is outlined on:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/racingkart/Free_Racing_Kart_Plans_PDF/Main_Kart_Complete_06_Rear_Axle_Complete.pdf

The ends of rear axles are not threaded. Instead hubs, sprocket and brake
carriers have "grub screw" holes, which will accept a bolt to tighten the
carrier/hub to the rear axle. See:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01056.JPG.html

I hope this information helps.