[Kartbuilding] question about throttle

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Sat Jul 5 13:38:49 IST 2008

Hi,

If there is no throttle cable on your engine powered lawn mower, you will
need to do some investigation on your engine.
Is there an "air filter" or "air box" on the lawn mower engine? E.g:
See Step 8 on this lawn mower page:
http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/content/17656/

Underneath the air filter will be the carburetor, and attached to this
will be a "butterfly valve". After removing the air filter and looking in,
you may be able to see this circular flap/valve. See:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01243.JPG.html

If you could carefully run the engine, and move this adjustor/valve via a
lever on the outside of the carburetor, it should speed up the engine.
Once you have discovered what lever/adjustor changes the speed/throttle of
the engine, you will then have to connect up a cable to move this
lever/adjuster from the foot pedal.

Its a little confusing and a bit of work. If you had a "lawn mower" rental
place, they would know all about those engines and would be able to help
you.