[Kartbuilding] go kart advice

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Sat Jul 26 22:06:43 IST 2008

Hi,

If the centrifugal clutches burned out very quickly, then yes - the
gearing is incorrect.
Did the second-hand kart look like the one on this page:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Commercial_Karts-Photos_and_Details/

If so, then typically these karts are designed to run on the flat, and
they have a slow take-off with high top end speed.

Typically centrifugal clutches on karts have 10 teeth, and 60-70 on the
rear axle. Typical centrifugal clutch and sprocket:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01032.JPG.html

Your best bet would be to either get a larger sprocket for the rear axle
or a smaller one for the engine/clutch.