[Kartbuilding] FW: kart

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Mon Mar 10 18:46:55 GMT 2008

Hi Glenn,

Glad you got the SolidWorks plans working ok. Im currently doing up new
plans in SolidWorks for the off-road kart on:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/Freeplans/plans.htm as the plans there are a
bit old and out of date.

Anyways, onto your questions. Yes - I did build the racing kart from the
SolidWorks plans as on: http://www.kartbuilding.net/racingkart/index.html
The plans drawn in SolidWorks were done after the kart was made, so yes -
everything should work out fine.

It is also not uncommon to have a chain tensioner where there is a long
chain drive (distance between sprockets), and might have to be used if
suspension was been considered.

Yes - The steering geometry did work out. As it was my second or third
kart build, I wanted to focus a lot on this area as I did have problems
with the off-road kart having too great of a camber and castor angle. The
angles and distances used and on the plans worked out very well for my
kart covering the weight balance and choice of wheels/tyres.

Having no front brakes is not a big deal. In wet weather the would be very
useful as the back tends to lock up very easily. It was actually one of my
ambitions if I got around to making another kart. Having the ability to
quickly slow down is one of the keys to fast karting. Front brakes, while
not essential would make a big difference. They would however complicate
matters quite a bit.

Well, I hope that has answered your questions. If you have any further,
just let us know. Also, if you do manage to get the kart made, feel free
to send on some photos and a description and I can put it on the website
for others to follow.