[Kartbuilding] FW: kart

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Mon Mar 10 19:09:08 GMT 2008

Hi Glenn,

Quick reply on your part!
That honda engine sounds just the job! It could nearly be a little too
fast. As for the size of the rear sprocket, typically a normal motorbike
rear sprocket would suffice. It is possible to swap/change sprockets after
the kart is built!! If you see the following photo, the sprocket can be
"split" and rewelded back together. Its like taking a piece out of a cake
and putting it back in place. See:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01028.JPG.html

As a result, I wouldn't be too worried at this stage about sprocket
choice.
As for front brakes, yes - small callipers are a must. They can start to
add up on the weight front too! It *might* be an idea to get the disc
brakes off a bycycle. New bycycles have very light and effective front
disc brakes. Alas, they are only only costly new bycycles, so it will be a
year or two yet before there are old second hand parts you could use.

As for the tubing used on my karts, plain carbon steel is used throughout
and sufficed fine for me. It had a good balance between ease of use,
weight and strength.

Looking forward to your build pictures.