[Kartbuilding] kids karts

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Mon Aug 17 22:24:10 IST 2009

Hi David / William,

Thanks for your email. I'm glad you managed to build a wooden go-kart and
get it working. Wooden go-karts are the first step in getting involved in
kartbuilding. Building a kart from metal is the natural next step. I
suggest you keep the metal chassis a simple ladder type frame. A couple of
key areas you will have to think about are:

1. Wheels - type and size. Typically the rear wheels would be welded /
fixed to the rear axle which would be free to spin.
2. Type of engine. If you can go for a general purpose engine (e.g.
http://kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Engines_for_Karts/General_Purpose_Engine_G42-50/
) and an automatic centrifical clutch ( e.g.
http://blog.kartbuilding.net/2007/06/26/using-a-centrifugal-clutch-and-chain-drive/
)
3. Layout of chassis. Typically a simple ladder form is the most basic.
Either decide between square or round metal tubing. Square tubing is
easier to cut and weld together. Will you be able to weld some metal
pieces together? You will want to draw out the chassi shape on the ground
using chalk, or a large piece of timber ( e.g. see:
http://www.solidsmack.com/fat-tire-bicycle-design-no-3d-cad-model/2009-08-17/
)

Well I hope that has sparked some thinking. If you have any specific
questions, just drop us an email. If you've any photos of the karts, feel
free to email them on and I can put them up on kartbuilding.net/gallery to
inspire other people.