[Kartbuilding] Thanks and queries

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Mon Dec 21 23:28:13 GMT 2009

Hi Ben,

I'm glad you liked the www.kartbuilding.net website and found it useful.
Indeed there seem to be few uk websites on karting, and even less events
and the like on karting and downhill racing (well here in Ireland
anyways).

I got great enjoyment out of going through your website, photos and videos
of your soapbox race!
http://albums.phanfare.com/isolated/ruEE5UzR/1/4186199
Wow is all I can say, and wonder why there aren't more of these. Ye seemed
to have a brilliant time. The wheelbarrow kart was cool, and had a very
brave driver! There seemed to be a great buzz and atmosphere. Having the
tractor to take all the karts to the top of the hill was a bonus :-) I
must write up a blog and link to your site from
http://blog.kartbuilding.net

Your definitely looking to scale things up next year!
Yes, the hill did look bumpy. The last turn or slide at the end caused the
most punishment on the karts. I see a few wheels broke on this turn in the
videos.
It's hard to know. The bicycle wheels on the Bugattis kart seemed to go
fast, however they would be weak on cornering, and liable to overturn.
I know small trailer (very small trailer or camper van) wheels would be
strong and reasonably light.
As for brakes, the drum brakes would be fine. Make sure to be careful what
way the hub rotates.
E.G. from my experience with drum brakes, when the wheel turns one
direction, the braking action is smooth. However when the wheel turns the
opposite way (in reverse) applying the drum brake causes a sudden brake.
I use wheelbarrow wheels myself, and they are very strong, cheap and easy
to find. That coupled with plenty of air, and it would be a good choice. I
then used solid axles and welded the axles to the wheelbarrow hubs.
Your going to want a low center of gravity with a wide wheelbase to
prevent overturning. Ideally you want narrow wheels to go fast.
Details on the drum brakes I used can be see at:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Off-Road_Kart/?g2_page=2
Wheelbarrow wheel with metal hub:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01055.JPG.html
Of course if you can get a small trailer wheels and hubs, you will have
the brakes inbuilt.

As far as suspension goes, I never went with suspension. It complicates
things and requires a lot of work. It may work well and provide a smoother
ride. You want to do some testing. Perhaps if you made the kart first with
no suspension, then sneak up one week and do time tests. Then you'd be
really ready for next years race :-)

Regarding the 3D CAD model of the person in the wooden kart plans, I
downloaded him from http://www.3dcontentcentral.com He was an assembly
model which I could manipulate and move to suit the 3D Kart.

Let me know how the kart building goes. Happy Christmas and New Year too.