[Kartbuilding] wooden go kart

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Sun Jul 26 18:20:32 IST 2009

Hi Gareth,

On the basic wooden kart ( www.kartbuilding.net/Wooden_Go-Kart_Plans ),
the rear axle doesn't turn, its fixed. Its just the two wheels which spin
on the axle. Having applied grease and oil to the inside of the wheels
would ensure they'd spin freely and not sieze up.

On the engine powered wooden kart ( www.kartbuilding.net/woodenkart ) ,
the full axle does rotate inside the metal bushings/enclosures. The
bushing/pipe would have a very tight fit in the Main Supporting Block of
wood and as a result the pipe would not be allowed to rotate. The axle
however, which would have plenty of grease and oil where it goes through
the metal bushing/enclosure ensures that the axle will always be able to
spin freely, even if there is a very heavy weight acting down on the axle.

As for using a Wooden Axle, you could use a wooden axle for the basic
wooden kart with no engine, as the axle is fixed/stationary in this kart.
The wheels would still have to spin on the ends of the wooden axle, so it
could wear the wooden axle a bit. If there were bearings inside the middle
of the wheel, that would be ideal.