[Kartbuilding] Check out The Brakes and Sprocket mountings

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Mon Mar 9 22:08:20 GMT 2009

Hi Jack,

How many teeth are on the sprocket on the engine, and how many teeth are
on the sprocket on the rear axle?

The most common cause of lack of power, is the fact that people have the
wrong gear ratio. That coupled with large wheels and a heavy chassis makes
if difficult to take off and get going.

In my experience you'd need a gear ratio of 5:1 (10 teeth on the engine
sprocket and 50 teeth on the rear axle). It can be tough to get sprockets
these sizes however. An example of these can be seen at:
http://kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01024.JPG.html
http://kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01172.JPG.html

Did you mention you had a converter? I take it this is a torque converter?
Can you tell if it is slipping much? Does the drive belt get warm? If the
belt is heating up and slipping, you will need to increase the size of the
sprocket on the rear axle. This will provide more torque.