[Kartbuilding] wet clutch

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Sat Mar 28 22:00:25 GMT 2009

Hi William,

I wrote a good blog on clutches for go-karts at:
http://blog.kartbuilding.net/2007/06/26/using-a-centrifugal-clutch-and-chain-drive/

Two things in relation to your email:
1. wet clutch. Typically a wet clutch runs in an oil sump to keep
lubricated and cool. If you want to use a wet clutch you will have to
mount the wet clutch on the shaft (with modification to suit your engine)
and then worry about running it in a bath of oil.

2. You didn't mention whether you wanted a manual or an automatic clutch.
Typically go-kart clutches are automatic, in that an extra clutch pedal is
not required.

So assuming you want an automatic clutch, I recommend that you go for a
dry clutch. It is the easiest to maintain and attach to your engine.
You can get a centrifical clutch to suit your engine shaft. There are a
few suppliers on the above blog post. The two main ones are:
http://www.cometkartsales.com/store/clutches/maxcomet.htm
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTESearch?Ntt=centrifugal+clutch&storeId=6970&in_dym=1&Nty=1&D=centrifugal+clutch&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&N=0&Ntk=All

I don't know any Irish supplier of centrifical clutches. You could go and
visit a Karting Arena/Track. There are a good few karting tracks around
Ireland which you could visit and maybe ask them for an old used
centrifical clutch to test. See:
http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=karting+arena+ireland&btnG=Search&meta=

I hope this information helps. There is further info on the blog post
(link at top of this email) regarding these clutches and fitting them to
the engine shaft.