[Kartbuilding] Child kart.

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Tue May 26 23:37:00 IST 2009

Hi Louis-Charles,

Thanks very much for the two photos. Well done in getting this far. I
especially like how you done the steering, in getting the various
components with threaded ends!

I like the design a lot. The front end looks well. Two quick questions:
1. The straight metal strip on the top of the main middle chassis member,
where the steering column is. Is this to prevent a split in the timber?
2. For the angle iron for the "drop-arm" controlling the side to side
movement of the track rod. How does it seem strength-wise?

I commend you on your objective not to use welding :-) I too had that
objective for quite a while when I started. It involved lots of box-iron,
flat steel, drilling and bolts.

The brakes will be an interesting exercise. I'm sure you have something in
mind. I'd see two main options. 1 would be to have a piece of timber
mounted in a lever fashion which would push in against the rear tyre. You
could perhaps work it so that a lever would operate and push something
which would move in against both tyres together. Something similar to what
is done on a pedal-go-kart. You could try and get a cable operated disc
brake from a bycycle (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_brake_systems#Disc_brakes ). This
would work well as you could attach a brake lever to the steering
arm/bar.

As for the clutch, I have a few ideas there too. They depend mainly on the
engine you have, and whether it might have a small centrifugal clutch
built-in already. My method would involve going down the drive belt route,
and having a 3rd pulley wheel operated on a lever which would move in
against the belt, thus tensioning it and transferring the drive.

If you could send on any more photos I would be most grateful. When I
started making wooden karts, I was quite young, and had no camera. Little
did I realise how popular making wooden karts is by people all around the
world.
How did you manage to get the rear axle fitted and working?
It would be great also to find out where you got your parts, from a local
DIY store etc? and how much time/money this took.

Anyways, best of luck with it. Let us know how it goes.

-steve