[Kartbuilding] wooden cart

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Tue Jul 13 22:08:41 IST 2010

Hi Mike,

The wooden kart becomes a little more difficult when you want to have a
steering wheel. There are two approaches to having a steering wheel on the
wooden go-kart as on
http://kartbuilding.net/Wooden_Go-Kart_Plans/index.html

1. It may be possible to weld a Pipe to the Main Front Steering Bolt
(pivot)
http://kartbuilding.net/Wooden_Go-Kart_Plans/JPG_wooden_go-kart_plans/Wooden_Kart_Plans_1.jpg
With a vertical pipe attached to this bolt and a steering wheel on the
end, it may be possible to steer the kart. The steering wheel would be flat
however and not angled towards the driver.

2. You could place a steering column and have it rotating with a pulley
wheel around which will pull a cable from one of the front wheels. See the
attached image.

Another idea would be to modify the front end of the kart to have a proper
steering setup, where the front wheels turn on pivots (as opposed to the
front wheels attached to a main piece which rotates).
Take a look at the following PDF on making an electrical vehicle which has
steering set up. See:
http://kartbuilding.net/other_karts/Making_an_Electric_Vehicle.pdf

I hope this helps.