[Kartbuilding] Racing Go Kart

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Mon Jun 28 22:52:01 IST 2010

Hi,

Well, whatever engine you can get your hands on first :-)

Most engines can be adpated to power a go-kart. Keep away from lawnmower
engines with vertical drive shafts as they are difficult to adapt.

If you want to keep it simple, look for a "general purpose engine" ( see:
http://www.google.ie/images?hl=en&q=general%20purpose%20engine&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi
) I then suggest you look to get a "centrifugal clutch" which will allow
you to keep the engine running while you start and stop the kart. See:
http://blog.kartbuilding.net/2007/06/26/using-a-centrifugal-clutch-and-chain-drive/