[Kartbuilding] Wooden push kart

Stephen Burke stephen at sburke.eu
Fri Nov 12 19:25:17 GMT 2010

Hi Andrew,

You can easily use any of the kart designs on www.kartbuilding.net
Unfortunately I don't know of any single website where you could source
all the parts. However you should be able to get all the materials you
need in a local DIY Hardware store (B&Q in the UK for example). The
wheels can be the dearest part however. You may be able to get wheels
from an old trolley or bicycle etc.

It would be worth looking at ebay for suitable wheels. A quick search
led me to:
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=pneumatic+wheels&_frs=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m359

In relation to your design.
I was wondering alright why you wanted sides and a bonnet! I can see
your point in the teams wanting to be able to paint it and put their
designs on it.
The design you have planned is fairly good. You will however have to be
very careful with the front steering.
You may need to widen your Front Axle. When the Front Axle turns/pivots
it will need room to do so, otherwise the front wheels will hit off the
sides when it turns. Perhaps you could make the chassis a "V" shape when
looking from the top.  See the attached image.
With the back part of the kart it looks nice with the rear
"spoiler"/bumper, however I don't know how strong it will be. It might
break off quickly. If you have the axles done good, it won't matter if a
side or rear piece comes off.

As for attaching the wheels on the axle, make sure you look at the
following page:
http://kartbuilding.net/Lawnmower_Powered_Wooden_Go-Kart_Plans/front-axle-assembly.html

If you use a metal bar for the axle. Then you can drill holes in the
metal bar either side of the wheel. You can insert a "split pin". This
is 100% strong and an excellent method of securing wheels onto an axle.

I hope it goes well. If you have any other questions just ask.