[Kartbuilding] Wooden push kart

Stephen Burke stephen at sburke.eu
Mon Nov 15 23:26:33 GMT 2010

Hi Andrew,

You seem to be well on the way.

The design of the axles will be ok. There is a much simpler design using
"spring caps" to secure wheels onto an axle (
http://www.alwayshobbies.com/Models/Wheeled-Toys/Axle-Rods-$1-Spring-Caps/Spring-Caps-(pack-of-4).ice
), however these are not 100% secure.
Drilling a 2 or 4mm hole in the axle and then inserting a split pin (or
even a small nail) and bend over to keep the pin in place, will make for a
really strong joint.

As for the steering, make sure there is at least a reasonable turning
circle. Too much of a turning circle can cause the kart to be unstable, so
putting the "stop" blocks into place is good.

I would worry about the rear bumper, especially if people are going to
push the kart there. You will have to bulk up here and add struts and
supports to make sure.

Have you decided what wood/materials you are going to use? Plywood is very
strong and easy to secure and won't split.

The best of luck with it. If you do take a few photos, send them on and I
can put them up on the kartbuilding website to help inspire others.

-steve