[Kartbuilding] Centrifugal clutch

Stephen Burke stephen at sburke.eu
Sat Jan 29 15:57:34 GMT 2011

Hi Chris,

So to clarify:
When starting the engine, the kart goes forward for 5 feet, or 1-2 seconds?
Or, after stopping the kart with the brakes, after taking your foot off
the brake, the kart moves forward also?

I've seen this before.
In karting arenas, they line up the karts and place tyres at the front to
stop the karts moving forward when the engines are idle. See:
http://kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Commercial_Karts-Photos_and_Details/DSC02143.JPG.html

It sounds like the spring in the Centrifugal Clutch (if this is what you
have) has become loose, and as a result engages a little too early.
See:
http://kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/?g2_page=11
and also
http://kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01106.JPG.html

You should be able to take apart the centrifugal clutch carefully and
check the condition of it. If its excessively loose or worn, you would be
better getting a new clutch.

As for putting some oil or grease, this would only be a temporary fix as
the oil/grease would eventually burn away (due to the clutch slipping).
Also, it could make things worse, and the kart may not move forward even
with the throttle on full.

See how it goes and let us know.