[Kartbuilding] Go Kart Chassis Materials?

Stephen Burke stephen at sburke.eu
Wed Jan 18 19:10:57 GMT 2012

Hi Alex,

Do you plan to paint/spray the kart afterwards? Typically you wouldn't
paint over stainless steel.

Stainless would be nice to use, however it costs much more compared to
mild steel. Also it is harder to weld stainless steel together.

Stainless steel would be a little stronger and lighter compared to mild
steel. Therefore if you wanted a lighter chassis, stainless might be good
to use.

All said and done, most karts are made from mild steel. It is cheap, easy
and quick to weld.
It might be better to spend the money on a good engine, wheels and axle
bearings.