[Kartbuilding] (no subject)

Stephen Burke stephen at sburke.eu
Fri Sep 6 22:53:32 IST 2013

Hi,

I have mixed feelings about using a rack and pinion for a kart.

If you are building a racing kart that is lightweight, then I advise not
to use a Rack and Pinion. Its too slow. You can't really adjust the
steering ratio easily. Most people take the rack and pinion out of a car
and it requires 2-3 turns of the steering wheel to go from left full
lock to right full lock.
For a racing kart - to work out the steering ratio, you need to base
your calculation on 3/4 turn of the steering wheel. The driver should
only have to turn the steering wheel a 3/4 of a turn (from right to
left) to achieve full steering lock.

For an off-road kart which would be heavy and require extra geared
assistance for steering - then any ratio would work.