[Kartbuilding] Wooden Go-Kart

Stephen Burke stephen at sburke.eu
Fri Sep 6 23:26:47 IST 2013

Hi Brian,

Sorry for not replying sooner.

Yes, you are correct. You may need to add an extra washer in-between the
front axle support and the main chassis member.

As on the following image:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/Wooden_Go-Kart_Plans/JPG_wooden_go-kart_plans/Wooden_Kart_Plans_4.jpg
Only 1 M12 Washer is indicated (Item 13).
If you could get an extra large (outside diameter) M12 Washer, then that
would be even better.
However on this kart which I made, I found that there was not too much
friction. Actually it was better when it was semi-tight. If the front
steering axle is too free and easy to move, then if you are going fast,
any accidental bump and the steering would turn extremely quick.
Also, it is the idea that the drivers feet operate and move the front
steering axle. It would be easy to move this front steering axle with a
persons/youngsters feet.