[Kartbuilding] quesstion

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Tue Nov 21 09:45:11 GMT 2006

Hi Jamie,

I suggest you choose a simple generator engine as is shown on this
website:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/engines/engines.htm

You can then simply use a simple "centrifical" clutch as can be seen here:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01031.JPG.html
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01162.JPG.html
and here:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/?g2_page=11

You can also simply use 2 sprockets and chain (direct drive). With the
engine directly linked to the rear axle - you would have to push start the
kart. To stop the kart - you would have to turn off the engine. There is
more details on the "drive" of karts at:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/drive/drive.htm

As for an estimate of costs - well if you make everything yourself
(chassis, steering setup), get the brakes for free off an old
moped/motorbike, get the wheels for free of wheelbarrows or a small
trailer, all you will have to get is the engine and metal to build the
kart. If you are not able to get an old engine from somewhere - you will
have to buy a second-hand engine - which will cost approximately 100euros.