[Kartbuilding] Fwd: question about rear axle.........

Stephen Burke kartbuilding at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 18:51:15 IST 2006

Hi Vlad,

I have had the same problem many many times.
The ideal way is to use a differential off a tractor lawnmower. You should
be able to adapt it easy enough. I did have to cut my rear axle in half to
try and weld in the differential - which did weaken the axle a lot!

The way I have it - is that BOTH rear wheels spin together. Yes - turning
is very difficult, however with the correct steeting geometry and setup ->
it can be done. The camber and castor angles are critical here.

As for only having one of the rear wheels spinning - I tried this - but it
doesnt work great. The kart is very unstable when going in a straight
line.