[Kartbuilding] Fwd: lawnmower karts

Stephen Burke kartbuilding at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 19:07:44 IST 2006

Hi,

Ideally you would need to use a clutch. With direct-drive and NO clutch -
it is designed that you push start the kart - and off you go. However with
belt-drive it is very difficult (if not impossible) to push start a kart.

If you are using a belt drive - then you can use a "belt-tensioner type
clutch". This is where you use a 3rd pulley wheel spinning freely on a
lever which can be moved out against (thus tension) the drive belt causing
the belt to grip the driver and driven pulley wheels. To disengage the
clutch, move the lever & 3rd pulley away from the belt (thus untension)
and cause the kart to stop.

I hope you get what I am on about.
If you manage to get a photo of this setup - please send it onto me as a
*LOT* of people want to use this type of setup.