[Kartbuilding] Fwd: I need some pointers on my kart!

Stephen Burke kartbuilding at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 19:22:22 IST 2006

Hi Nick,
You can go straight from a clutch on the engine to a rear axle. You
need to think of gear ratio however - and this is where the number of
teeth come into things.

E.g. 10 teeth on the clutch/ engine and 50 teeth on the rear axle = ratio of 5:1
If your engine does 3000 rpm = your rear axle = 600 rpm

Basically - if you put more teeth on the clutch/ engine then the
faster you will go HOWEVER with LESS power and POOR acceleration.
If you put fewer teeth on the engine you will have LOADS of power and
LOTS ot acceleration but poor top speed.
The problem is getting the optium and this can only be gotten by trial
and error. Buy a few sprockets and test them out.

As for clutches - look them up on the internet. You should be able to
get one to suit your engine stats.
BEst of Luck
-steve