[Kartbuilding] Fwd: Go Kart Clutch

Stephen Burke kartbuilding at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 19:50:26 IST 2006

Hi Dan,

It is extremely difficult just to get a manual clutch on its own - in
fact I dont know of any - this is because there is a lot of mechanisms
- pressure plate- friction plates - bearings and thrust bearings etc.
and it is difficult to get that in a compact unit.
My suggestion is to use a motorbike engine that has a clutch and gearbox.

What I tried to get working - and it did for a bit:
I managed to get a motorbike engine in which the piston + cylinder
head was broken. I took out the piston, cylinder head and all the
engine stuff. This left the clutch and gearbox.
I welded a sprocket onto the crankshaft (where the magneto was) and
drove the clutch& gearbox via my basic generator engine. Get the idea?

Best of Luck,
Steve