[Kartbuilding] Fwd: Clutch advice

Stephen Burke kartbuilding at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 10:01:57 IST 2006

Hi Stephen
Thank you very much for making this great site, its very hard to find
info about go kart building on the web and you have helped me a lot with
your advice and drawings, as i cannot currently weld and wish to make a
go kart i found a very sturdy "berg" style go kart but its built like a
tank the back axle assembly is made of 6mm steel plate, i got it at a
local farm and industrial shop for 200 euro. Anyway I am removing all
the pedals and i am going to adapt it to fit a 3.5hp briggs and stratton
engine but the biggest challenge i am having is a clutch system i am
thinking of a 1 : 5 gear ratio and an idle pulley that i can tension
with an old hand brake from a car, But i think there might be problems
taking off as the rpm of the engine doesn't change that much it goes
from around 3000rpm to around 4000rpm.
So i went in search of a centrifigul clutch but was told that these
would disintegrate on any kind of rough terrain or slope so the best
option seems to be a torque converter, i found a good one called the
"torq-a-verter 2" it adjusts torque itself to suit the terrain and has a
clutch built in. http://www.kartworld.com/TORQ-A-VERTER.htm but its 180
dollar which is around 150 euro so that doesnt seem to be an option at
the moment. So what i really want to ask you is do you have any advice
on which option to go for i will probably try the idle pulley method
first and if that doesnt work ill have to invest in a torque converter.
I will include a few pictures of the kart there are five pictures they
are around 200kb each.

Thanks alot for you time
P.S  Did you hear of anyone else adapting a "berg" go kart to fit an
engine if so please tell me about it
P.P.S I am in Ireland and its very hard to find places that sell go
kart/ engine parts if you know of anywhere please let me know thanks again

Conor