[Kartbuilding] chainsaw engine

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Fri Oct 20 12:39:49 IST 2006

Hi Matt,

I dont have actual plans written up for transmission via a chainsaw engine
- BUT - it is very easy.
If you take the chainsaw you have - remove the guard, the blade and the
chain - exposing the drive shaft & bell clutch housing off the chainsaw.

After taking off the covers etc. you should see the bell housing &
sprocket driving the cutting chain.
( Read through these chainsaw manuals:
http://www.northerntool.com/downloads/manuals/195878.pdf
http://www.baileys-online.com/chainsaw_carving.htm <-> look at the Pitch
Drive Sprocket)

You will have to weld your small Kart Sprocket (with ~10teeth) onto this
cutting drive sprocket - so it will drive YOUR chain.
Once you have welded on the correct sprocket (make sure its on correctly
and concentric - otherwise the chain will tighten & loosen as it turns <-
very bad).

Finally you will have to look at securing the chainsaw itself to the
chassis. Its best to mount/bolt the chainsaw to some sort of a cradle
which in turn can be bolted to the chassis - with place to allow the
cradle to move forward/backwards on the chassis to tighten the chain
correctly.