[Kartbuilding] Fwd: Chassis Tubing Size

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Mon Feb 5 00:09:12 GMT 2007

Hi Alrin,

I recieved your email and JPEG of your SolidWorks Kart model fine. It
looks good!
As for suspension - its a lot of hassle in my opinion. To get suspension
working "correctly" it take a LOT of extra work. I had often though that I
could easily modify my karts afterwards to include suspension - however I
never got the time to trying it. My suggestion - is to get some nice sized
wheels and let them take some of the bumps.
I have used a Honda GX160 5.5hp - its an ok engine - but on its own - its
limited to 30mph for a on-road/tarmac kart with a simple centrifical
clutch. The Honda GX240 sounds like a better engine with more power. I
still think you may need a "torque converter" (google for it) or a gearbox
to give you a high & low gear ratio which is essential for an off-road
kart.
As for the diameter of tubing to use. First off - as I mentioned if you
are running the kart off-road, and with no suspension, letting a little
air out of the tyres will help soak up some of the bumps and punishment.
If I was going doing some serious off-roading in the kart - I would go
with 30mm diameter tubing. It all depends also on the weight of the kart,
and whether the engine will take it. The 8hp engine of your should. The
roll cage you have modelled up in SolidWorks will also help to transfer
the load into the chassis better. I would add further members to the roll
cage also - firstly to better support the ladder type chassis, and
secondly to offer more protection if the kart did roll onto its side.
So - go with the 30mm tubing for the main members. You can use 25mm for
the cross members. Also - look into getting some sort of a gearbox or
Torque Converter.