[Kartbuilding] engine

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Sun Feb 4 23:56:10 GMT 2007

Hi Chris,

The ideal engine for this go-kart is a 100cc motorbike engine, which has
both a gearbox and a clutch. This will allow the kart have good power at
low speed and yet able to reach approximately 50mph.

Another engine setup would be to obtain a simple "general purpose" engine
from an old generator, or water pump. These engines have a "horizontal"
drive shaft, onto which you can place a "centrifical clutch" as can be
seen here:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01032.JPG.html
and also here:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/DSC01110.JPG.html

This type of clutch automatically goes into gear when the engine speeds
up. A chain will link the small sprocket on the engine/centrifical clutch
to a large sprocket on the rear axle.

Best of Luck with whatever engine you manage to get.
-steve