[Kartbuilding] Old karts

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Thu Feb 22 20:02:03 GMT 2007

Hi Stephen,
Congratulations for getting it all setup. It looks good. Thanks very much
for the photo - send some more if you can. It is nice to
see photos of different 'drive' setups - and especially of the gearbox
connection. Many people have a "general purpose engine", however fail to
realise that the gears play a vital role, and for gears - a gearbox is
needed (or some sort of torque converter).

If you send me some more photos of the setup and 2 seperate chains I will
update the "drive" section on the www.kartbuilding.net website,
specifically this page -> http://www.kartbuilding.net/drive/drive.htm -
The transmission of power.

You also mentioned a conventional differential. Is this part of the
gearbox? or do you have it built into the rear axle? The dual rear
hydraulic brakes also sound nice and effective. I always had wished to put
brakes on the front wheels as well, having brakes on all wheels, or one
for the rear axle. I found that in wet conditions - without brakes on the
front wheels - the kart tends to spin/slide when braking!

Also - do you have a manual gear lever? - via a lengthened handle or via a
rod connection? The only aspect I found with the gears on a motorbike
engine - is that there is no specific feedback/visual signs as to what
gear you are in! There is a "neutral" sensor/switch built into most
gearboxes on motorbike engines - so when the gearbox is in neutral - a
switch is turned on - and you can turn on a light/indiactor. On one of the
motorbike engines I used - there was a Rev Counter which was connected to
the gearbox via a flexible drive in a cable sheeting. On the Rev Counter
was the Neutral Indicator - so I connected it up and got it working. The
reason the "Neutral" indicator Light is useful - is because once it is in
neutral - one press down = first gear. one press up = second gear. two
press's up (from neutral) = third. This sequence of
First-Neutral-Second-Third gear change with types of engines anyways. Its
just I often found it difficult to gauge what gear I was in and wanting to
gear down/up to.

If you can send me on a few more pics - that'd be great and much
appreciated. If you have any points etc. Id be interested in hearing them
too.

Talk later,
-steve