[Kartbuilding] Home made kart (fwd)

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Sat Jan 6 11:47:51 GMT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 19:51:48 +0000
Subject: Re: Home made kart

On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 11:54 +0000, Stephen Burke wrote:

> I had thought of making a special trailer with enclosed body which I could
> store and transport two karts in!

I run an LDV 400 long wheel base van, this allows the kart to just go in
the back doors and still have some seats for the family

> You got me there! It came up very well. Did you use special heat resistant
> paint? I presume so.

Hammerrite silver on the engine cowling.

> I saw the photos you sent on - thanks very much.
> I also see that your turned your formers!! - Nicely done. Thats the
> hardest part - and as I dont have a metalwork lathe (or easy eaccess to
> one) its a pity. I had thinking of turning the formers out of oak/ask/teak
> on a woodwork lathe (which I did have access to). Another idea to make the
> formers was to get the various tube sizes bent in an engineering works -
> and then to saw the bent tubing in half - and to weld in supports etc.
> This would give a suitable former also.

The formers did take several hours each to make, so quite an investment
for me in time.  Perhaps a local engineering co would do them for you.

> I actually have finished up a set of PDF plans for a racing kart (putting
> a copyright notice). They are at: www.kartbuilding.net/racingkart
> See what you think. If you have any comments or changes I should make - I
> would be interested in hearing them.
>
> As for the smaller issues such as chain guard and roll cage etc, I feel
> that if people get enough plans and information to start making the kart
> and to get it moving - they will have motiviation to go on and include the
> pieces and parts *they* want. I didnt want to have too many plans or
> details. Just simply plans to get them off the ground. It would however be
> nice for me to include all details in a kart. Hummmm.... for another days
> work.

The plans are fine and look good.  You are obviously skilled in cad
packages, something I have not done for a long time.

> I head to an industrial estate on weekends - it does be very good - apart
> from the odd speed ramp. I had often thought of heading to a isolated
> beach somewhere. Anyways...Ive been out of the making and racing of karts
> for a year or two now.

The runs at work went OK today, no long stretch and only have around80
yards in a line before you have to turn around, an ind estate or closed
off  business park would be ideal if the local security guards could be
persuaded.  I will give some of them a try.  Good idea.

One of the last things I am waiting for from an eBay seller is a
electronic speed computer.  Really meant to be mounted on a push bike,