[Kartbuilding] Home made kart

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Sat Jan 6 11:57:19 GMT 2007

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007, admin wrote:
> One of the last things I am waiting for from an eBay seller is a
> electronic speed computer.  Really meant to be mounted on a push bike,
> powered by a small button cell you programme in the circumference of the
> wheel and mount somehow on the back axle, they can give speed in MPH or
> KM, distances trip etc. max speed etc.  All for less then £10.  Not bad
> I thought so would be well worth any karter to fit to see what is being
> achieved.

Ive fitted one too! I did have a bit of difficulty with it however. You
can set what radius the "sensor" (magnet) is attached to the spoke at.
The radius needs to be measured correctly from the centre of the axle.
The problem I had - was that the setting for the radius would not go below
150mm. The wheels I used were 300mm diameter - and this I had a problem as
where to mount the sensor. I could have welded a hook onto the hub and
mount the magnet/sensor on that - but the radius wouldn't be correct.

I ended up getting another speedometer which would allow me to set
radius's as low as 100mm. Instead of welding a hook onto the hub - I
welded a hook onto my disc brake. I attached the other part of the sensor
with the wire on an arm to pick up the rotations of the magnet attached to
the very outside of the disc. It was a bit precarious however.

But yes - the speedometer does give a good idea of the speed of a kart (as
long as the radius setting on the speedometer is set correctly) and is
worth fitting to a kart.

Anyways - best of luck with it.

Kind Regards,
Stephen