[Kartbuilding] wedling/racing cart - photos (fwd)

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Wed Jul 18 14:32:27 IST 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 13:21:57 +0000
From: Jakub Rogalewicz
To: sburke
Subject: Re: wedling/racing cart

Thankyou for your quick reply. Sorry, I forgot to attach some photos. So I
attached some of the caliper and a few of some other components I have. I
already purchased 1" tubing with a 1/8" wall; thats more or less 3mm. since the
chassis is so important in the construction of the go cart, I was thinking of
getting it professionally welded together. I suppose I can arcweld the pieces
that will not take as much strain. As for the brake, I do think that it is
simply cable operated. I have looked over your site and read everything atleast
once so I feel I am fairly familiar with everything. In the pictures you will
see the pillow block bearing I am using to hold my axle, the sprocket on the
hub, the disc and moutning bracket, a rod end for the steering, and the chain
(ASA 40   1/2" pitch) so I think it will suffice. Also included is the picture
of the engine which is not as tall as yours but is much wider and I need more
space between me and the shaft. A few more questions that I remembered are: How
do I attach the rear wheels (rims/hubs) to the rear axle? Do I permenatly weld
them to the axle? Same goes for the disc hub and the sprocket hub. The sprocket
hub has a "set screw", so if I tighten that will it be enough to stop the
sprocket from moving left and right? The disc hub does not have a set screw so
I am assuming that I need to weld it to the axle. As for the axle, will using
shaft collars with set screws be enough to hold the axle between the bearings
so it doesnt slide? Or do I need to weld the shaft collars onto the axle to
keep it in place. I understand that the front wheels are kept in place because
you are able to use a lock nut on the threaded piece of steel (or bolt with cut
off head as I have read on your site). But again I am confused about the rear,
or could I use those shaft collars and use the set screws on them to keep the
rear wheels in place, however somehow I feel that will not be strong enough.

Thanks for your patience and sorry about all the questions, but I dont want to
kill myself riding this cart.
Jakub