[Kartbuilding] price, lawnmower engines? etc.

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Wed Jun 20 11:42:47 IST 2007

Hi,

If you have an engine already it should only cost between 50 and 100 euros
to make a metal racing/off-road kart. If you are making a wooden kart, it
may be cheaper. To keep the costs low, use "bushings" (
http://www.kartbuilding.net/epbimages/axlebush.jpg ) instead of buying new
bearings. Read http://www.kartbuilding.net/Freeplans/axle.htm for more
information.
Similarly, a simple plastic seat with some side supports as on:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/Freeplans/seat.htm will suffice and keep costs
low, at under 50euros.

As for turning a lawnmower engine on its side! - If you did manage to do
this (which I personally have not), it will significantly reduce the life
of the engine.
There was a person I knew who managed to take off the carburattor and
combined petrol tank, mount it horizontally (to stop the petrol from
spinning) and reconnect the intake port to the carburattor. Also - there
are 4 possible positions that a lawnmower can be placed on its side. There
is one position which is better at allowing oil flow and lubrication
within the engine. I *think* it is the position where the piston is moving
in a horizontal direction and the inlet and exhaust valves are below the
position. This of course can change with engines. The lawnmower engines I
worked with and that the person I knew managed to get working was a Briggs
and Stratton engine - 3.5hp.
I never got the lawnmower engine working on its side however, and instead
just used belt and pulley drive, as outlined:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/woodenkart/chassis_explained.htm
and
http://www.kartbuilding.net/PlAnS/engine%20connection.gif

You could also use a