[Kartbuilding] Chassis Building

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Wed Mar 7 18:26:56 GMT 2007

Hi Robert,

Building a kart that runs on hydrogen sounds like a very interesting and
challengine project! Im sure you will have lots more concerns once you
have the chassis built!
Anyways - to answer your query regarding chassis design:
Chassis without suspension need to be able to flex a certain amount. If
you have suspension planned for your kart - then maybe it might be better
to have a rigid chassis.

On all karts - there is a steering setup/geometry to be followed. This
is especially so where there is a "Live Rear Axle" where both rear
wheels spin together. The correct setup involves the Ackerman, Castor and
Camber angles. With these angles and if
there is no suspension, the chassis NEEDS to be able to flex - albeit a
small amount, for correct and responsive steering. As a result - depending
on the total weight of the kart - a chassis can be designed using a light
a tubing as possible. Some people also "braze" the chassis members
together (instead of welding) as it provides for better torsion and will
not result in cracking around welds (which can happen if the chassis
flexes a lot).

There are a few types of chassis design - 1. The ladder type (which I use
in my kart plans) 2. The box type and 3. The space type. The ladder type
takes the form of a ladder and can twist/flex easily. The box and space
types are NOT flat - but have vertical members also. This makes them rigid
and solid - making them very suitable for karts with suspension.

So - with a "Live Rear Axle" and "No Suspension" then your chassis needs
to be able to flex and twist in order to corner correctly. A combination
of the correct Steering Geometry AND a Chassis which can flex is required.
The steering geometry is what forces the chassis to flex, in particular
the camber and castor angles.
When turing left, the inside rear wheel *MUST* slip or spin, as the
outside wheel must go faster. If the inside wheel does not slip - the kart
will propel in a straight line even if the front wheels are pointing to
the left! To help the inside rear wheel lift off the ground - allowing the
kart to corner effectively, the camber angle is used. Normally the camber
angle in cars etc. is to keep the tyre FLAT on the ground and reduce
excessive tyre wear. On a kart - it plays a further role of raising the
chassis on the front (called a jacking effect). When turning left - it
raises the front of the chassis - and this causes the chassis to twist
about its corners. Therefore (if the weight balance and steering is
correct) the inside rear wheel will ever-so-slightly lift off the ground.
Ideally the rear wheel will not come off the ground - but the weight on
the chassis will be transferred to the other wheels allowing it to spin
when it needs to.

I cant offer any more of a description. I suggest you make a small scale
model and test it out. Note: it is possible to adjust the camber and
castor angles AFTER the chassis is made - so all is not lost if its not
fully correct from the beginning. Fixing the angles would involve grinding
off and re-welding the King-Pins (pivot pieces where the front stub axles
mount onto the chassis).

I hope this helps you a little robert. Im sure there are books out there
on the subject. I have included 2 photographed images out of a karting
book called: "The NatSKA guide to karts and karting / authors: Brian Lord,
Colin Fenwick and Ian Paddy" Castrol Ltd., 1984, 1984, 2nd ed.
The links are:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/chassis_design_book_1.jpg
http://www.kartbuilding.net/chassis_design_book_2.jpg
I have also attached them to this email.

I hope you find this information useful and that you manage to design and
fabricate a good chassis for your promising hydrogen kart.

Best of Luck,
-Steve