[Kartbuilding] sprocket pedal go cart

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Tue May 15 09:31:54 IST 2007

Hi Jacob,

I cant tell off hand - the specific make/mode of that sprocket for that
pedal gokart.
It does however seem to be some combined unit, with the lever (which can
be seen from the photo) acting as a brake lever, OR as a gear change for a
"sun and planetary gear". My best guess is that, it is a gear change
lever. The "sun and planetary gear" is explained here:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/gear-ratio4.htm
Old bycycles with 3 gears used a similar gearing system called "sturmey
archer". More info on this gearing system as specifically used on bycycles
can be found here: http://www.sturmey-archer.com/

The chain guard in plastic is covering both the sprokcet and gearing unit
(or brake unit). If you removed the chain guard you would be able to find
out some more information.

Is it that the sprocket/gear unit is broken? If you manage to remove the
plastic chain guard you might see a small ruber "oil cap" on the gearing
unit (if that is what is combined with the sprocket). You could try
pouring in a little oil and see if it makes anything a bit better.

Anyways, the best of luck,
-steve