[Kartbuilding] steering problem

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Tue Nov 6 17:20:03 GMT 2007

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your comments on the kartbuilding site. I do think that the
skills and ideas of kartbuilding transfer over into other disciplines and
other areas of engineering.

Anyways - Yes - I do know exactly the problem you are having. I
experienced the same problem a few times myself. The cause of not been
able to steer is due to the "fixed rear live axle". Does the rear axle
rotate on your flyer powered wagon? Do both rear wheels turn together? If
so - this is your problem. Ideally there should be a differential to allow
the outside wheel turn faster when cornering. See:
http://kartbuilding.net/drive/Differential.htm

A quick solution is to put one of the rear wheels spining freely, and not
driven by the motor. Essentially this turns the wagon into a one wheel
drive. This is the easiest option.

Depending on the weights involved, the steering setup etc. it is possible
to have a solid live rear axle, however steering is still restricted. The
inside rear wheel on a solid live axle must still "slip" to allow the
kart/wagon turn.

I hope you can understand the above explaination, and that having only
rear wheel driving will work ok for you.

Best of Luck,
Steve