[Kartbuilding] steering problem

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Tue Nov 6 21:55:20 GMT 2007

Hi Dan,

Indeed - the differential solution is very difficult to implement.
It would be easy to change one of the rear wheels so it will spin "freely"
on the rear axle. Perhaps have it so the hub of one of the rear wheels is
not welded to the rear axle. Put a split pin and washer to hold on one of
the rear wheels while still allowing it to spin freely. E.g.
http://www.kartbuilding.net/Wooden_Go-Kart_Plans/index.html (scroll down
to Drg 6.)

If you do want to try and improve (albeit it slightly) the current
steering setup, you need to place more weight over the front wheels.
Perhaps if you can take some of the weight from the rear of the vehicle
and move it towards the front it would be ideal.
As for adjusting the camber and castor angles, it will only help a little.
If you can add a 5 degree camber angle as on:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/Freeplans/faxle.htm
it might help a little. The castor angle is typically only to allow the
vehicle move in a straight line if the steering wheel is let go.

Adjusting it so one of the rear wheels can spin freely *will* solve your
problem.
The camber angle *might* help somewhat to alleviate the steering problem.