[Kartbuilding] wooden kart

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Tue Aug 26 00:17:14 IST 2008

Hi Toby,

Sorry for the slow reply. For a engine powered wooden go-kart, I would
first recommend that you dont choose a lawnmower engine as they are quite
difficult to get working. A small engine from a generator or water pump
would be much more suitable. Engines with a horizontal output/drive shaft
are best as they can easily be connected to the rear axle using a chain.
These engines look like:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/Freeplans/enginemounting.htm
http://images.google.ie/images?hl=en&q=generator%20engines&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

If you cant get one of the above engines, then you will have to make do
with a lawnmower engine. Any type of lawnmower engine will do. Ideally one
with 3.5 or 5hp.

The wheels. Ideally they should be no bigger than 12" or 300mm in
diameter. Otherwise the kart would be too high off the ground and if might
tip/overturn on sharp corners.

As for what type of wood to use: any type of wood would suffice. Avoid
using wood with large knots or splits as they could be weak in places.

As for the cost, if you are patient and look hard enough you could get all
the above parts for free by asking neighbours for old parts and materials.