[Kartbuilding] Differential

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Tue Aug 26 00:29:28 IST 2008

Hi James,

It is very difficult to steer a live-axle kart on tarmac. The steering has
to be setup correctly so that when a kart goes into a corner, that through
correct camber and castor angles that the chassis flexes and produces lift
on the inside rear wheel allowing it to slip to achieve smooth cornering.

I would highly recommend using a differential. I did manage to
successfully use a differential from a self-propelled lawnmower. Pictures
can be seen at:
http://www.kartbuilding.net/gallery/v/Kart_Clearance_and_Memories/?g2_page=7
This was quite a small diff, and the rear axle had to be split to get it
into the middle. While it did work quite effectively, it was not strong
enough and I broke the first one after a few weeks. I suggest you try and
get a larger differential from a ride-on/tractor lawnmower. Note:
differentials can get large and heavy very quickly, so you need to try and
get a suitable sized one.

More information on the steering angles of karts for a solid live rear
axle can be found at:
http://blog.kartbuilding.net/2007/07/12/steering-geometry-and-setup-for-go-karts/