[Kartbuilding] hp required for karts

Stephen Burke sburke at burkesys.com
Wed Aug 27 00:12:21 IST 2008

Hi Jace,

I used to think that single engines with high HP was the way to go,
however I have since moved to using small engines off motorbikes which
have a combined gearbox.

Although it would be possible to get high torque and ungoverned speed from
the 10hp ride-on lawnmower engine, the top speed would be very low. Also,
in order to obtain a large gear ratio, a drive chain would have to be used
(i.e. two sets of chains and sprockets), as it can be difficult to get a
single large sprocket for the rear axle.

The pit-bike engine with the gearbox would be the best way to go. It might
take a little more effort driving the kart, in having to change gears, but
it would be worth it, as you would have the best of both worlds, high
torque and also high top end speed.

Im glad you found the kartbuilding.net website useful. Its good to get
positive feedback about it. I hope to keep adding information and
resources to it whenever I get a chance. If you have any photos or details
you would like to add, feel free to drop it in an email and I can put it
up so others will be able to get some use from it.